Monday 21 March 2022

Three-time champ Phil Mickelson will not play in next month's Masters Tournament

The absence of Phil Mickelson from a competitive golf course will extend beyond the Master's Championship.

Originally reported by Bob Harig of Morning Read, Mickelson's name was removed from Monday's list of next month's tournament in Augusta National and was added to the list of former non-competitive champions. An Augusta National spokesman later confirmed to GolfChannel.com that Mickelson would actually skip the first major game of the year, with Mickelson winning three times.

No reason was given for Mickelson's withdrawal.

Mickelson has not included it in the PGA Tour since the Farmers Insurance Open in late January. His last start anywhere came the following week at Saudi International.

The extended break follows controversial remarks Mickelson made to golf writer Alan Shipnuck of the Firepit Collective in November released last month. In an interview with Shipnuck, Mickelson said it was off the record when Shipnuck protested otherwise, Mickelson talks about using the Saudi-backed league, now known as the LIV Golf Invitational Series, as a result of the Tour despite admitting human rights abuses. made by the Saudi regime.

"[The Saudis] are mothers who are terrified of being involved with them," Mickelson told Shipnuck. "We know they have killed [Washington Post reporter and US citizen Jamal] Khashoggi and have a poor human rights record. They kill people out there for being gay. Knowing all this, why would I ever consider it? Because this is a real opportunity in life to recreate the way the PGA Tour works. ”

After experiencing backlash and losing a few sponsors, Mickelson wrote a statement and released it on Feb. 22. In an announcement of 530 words, Mickelson revealed that he was taking "time off" in the game.

"While it may not look like this now when I look at my latest ideas, my actions throughout this program have always been of interest to golfers, my peers, sponsors, and fans," read a Mickelson statement. “I used to say things that I later regret that did not reflect my real feelings or intentions. It was reckless, annoying people, and I am very sorry for my choice of words. I am not disappointed and will make every effort to think and learn from this. … I have had many successful and rewarding times that I will always cherish, but I have often failed myself and others. For the past 10 years, I have felt the pressure and stress affect me a little at a deeper level. I know I have never been a better person and I need more time to put my loved ones first and work at being the man I want to be. ”

Mickelson did not say how long the break would last, and tourism commissioner Jay Monahan did not comment on whether Mickelson was suspended by the Tour. Sitting with reporters at The Players Championship before the tournament, Monahan said, when asked if Mickelson had been suspended by the Tour, “We do not comment on disciplinary matters, potential events, or real stories. But every player is responsible for his or her action here. "

Monahan stated that he had not spoken to Mickelson since Mickelson at Shipnuck was spoken in public, but that such a discussion would be required before Mickelson returned to the Tour.

“I think the ball is in his field. I would appreciate a call from him, ”said Monahan. "It's difficult for me to talk about different situations."

Now, however, Mickelson will miss his first Masters since 1994, the year after his first game at Augusta National. In their 29 first career, Mickelson has won three (2004, 2006, and 2010) and 11 top-5s, 15 tops, and three missed cuts.

Phil Mickelson

Phil Mickelson

Phil Mickelson
Previous Post
Next Post

post written by: